This is a pretty easy topic for me, because burgers are one of the best things ever.
10 Favorite Hamburger Toppings
- Bacon. I mean, c’mon… bacon.
- Bleu cheese. To go with the bacon.
- Caramelized onions. Again… to go with the bacon.
- Cheddar cheese. Also goes with bacon.
- Ketchup. Of course.
- Mayo. Sometimes.
- Tomato. A nice thick slice on the side of the bun with the mayo.
- Lettuce. Just one nice, big leaf.
- Potato chips. Sometimes, for the crunch.
- Sautéed mushrooms. Something else that goes great with… bacon.
In general, I hate summer. The heat, the humidity… summer is just a hell I have to pass through to get from spring to autumn. Lately I’ve been trying to embrace every day, though, and that means not hibernating until September.
10 Things I Want To Do This Summer
- Go to the beach. At least once, hopefully more.
- Go to the pool. I think we’re going to get badges for the town pool this year. It’s very inexpensive and it would be nice to beat really hot days by heading over there for a picnic and a dip. There’s also a hotel nearby that allows you to use their pool facilities for a reasonable fee. I love hotel pools, so that’s definitely in my plans for this summer.
- Go to an amusement park. In the nearly 18 years Scott and I have been together, we’ve never been to an amusement park together. That changes this year because we have couple friends with the same roller coaster divide Scott and I have: he hates them, she loves them. So this summer we plan to go to Great Adventure with this couple. The guys can drink and Kim and I can ride coasters.
- See live music. This is a year round plan, but outdoor summer shows are really the best.
- Cook and eat outdoors. The grill is going to get a major workout this summer.
- Spend time with friends. I love summer get-togethers with friends, at our place or at friends’ homes.
- Tomatoes. From my garden or from the farm stand, not much beats a Jersey tomato. I want to eat them till I’m sick of them this summer.
- Corn. If there’s anything that beats a Jersey tomato, it’s Jersey corn. When it’s sweet and ripe and down to about 20 cents an ear, I want to eat lots and lots.
- Evenings on the deck. Last summer Scott and I would sit on the deck in the relative coolness of the evening, enjoying cocktails. That’s a tradition I want to carry into this year.
- Go for rambles. I love hopping in the car, picking a direction, and driving. Summer is a great time to do that and I want to do it a lot this year.
Being mindfully grateful for what I have is really important and something I’m embarrassed to say I don’t do often enough. This week’s Ten On Tuesday is a great reminder.
10 Times You Felt Grateful Last Week
- When I woke up Saturday morning to all of the dishes being done and…
- …coffee made and waiting for me at my desk. ( An every weekend occurrence I’m grateful for every weekend.)
- When I got to spend time in friends’ amazing garden in Queens.
- When I got to spend time with those friends, eating and drinking.
- When Scott did all the vacuuming.
- When our Sunday evening Game of Thrones guests brought spiced wine and Ser Amory’s tarts for us all to enjoy during the season finale.
- When I ate food fresh from my garden.
- When I noticed my tomato plants are covered with flowers.
- When I put up decals on the kitchen walls and thought about how they’re my kitchen walls and I can do whatever I want to them.
- When I knit on the shawl that is my current project, which uses yarn that was a gift.
Today’s topic is a little difficult for me because I stick pretty faithfully to just a few toppings on ice cream, but let’s give it a go anyway.
10 Favorite Ice Cream Toppings
- Wet walnuts. These are my absolute favorite.
- Hot fudge.
- Peanut butter sauce. The top three here are the toppings I stick to almost all the time.
- Butterscotch. Though here we’re getting into rarely territory.
- Whipped cream. Exceedingly rarely.
- Sprinkles. Now and again.
- Hard chocolate shell. I do have a weakness for a soft serve vanilla cone with a chocolate shell, but again, not very often at all.
- Brownies. Now I’m really reaching and this is more of an undering than a topping.
- Pineapple. That one time I had a banana split I remember liking the pineapple. I haven’t ordered it since.
- Wet walnuts. I know I said that already but I really do love them and I’ve completely run out of other possibilities.